Series : 2019 European Election Series
Step 4: My Vote
Organising and participating in a simulated election whilst understanding what is required for free and fair democratic elections.
During this activity, students will create a timeline illustrating how voting rights have changed over France's history.
Learn about the different stages and struggles leading to universal suffrage in France.
During this activity, participants will discuss the idea of opening up the right to vote to all those over 16 in France.
- Understand the arguments on both sides around the issue 'The right to vote at 16'
- Express their point of view and listen to arguments of others
- Discuss their interpretation of the right to vote
Duration:2 hours (50 mins if you choose the 'moving debate' format)
In this activity, participants will make posters to publicise the upcoming 'Voters in training' elections to a target audience (depending on your situation, this could be the rest of the High School, Class, Youth Centre...) This activity should allow you to communicate all the necessary information for the vote.
Make posters to inform the rest of the school / organisation of the upcoming 'Voters in training' elections.
Duration:2 hours (or 2 x 50 mins)
- During this activity, the students will experience a simulated election that they will organize themselves.
- The election materials will be made by the organizer with the help of the participants and using the templates and guides provided in the appendices. If time is tight, teaching staff can take on some or all of the organizational tasks (this option is however less education for the students).
Discover how an election works by organizing a fictional poll and using their ‘right to vote’.
Duration:from 2 to 5 hours
Over the course of this activity, the participants will react and dive deeper into the results of the 'Voters in Training' election. They will then express their opinions and exchange ideas on the issues brought up in step 4.
- Find out and understand the results from the 'Voters in training' ballot
- Draw conclusions as a group on step 4